Ooff, never thought 90 would be nice until after all this time of 100’s. Hopefully your girls got water nearby to aid them in cooling their hive. Two weeks of very cool weather and then jumping into the high heat turned what was hoped to be a good Blackberry crop into a low producer again this year. This high heat is continuing to affect the nectar flows. Now its time to work on removing any extra honey you may have and verify stores and pollen are in abundance. Many beekeepers are feeding their hives sugar and pollen patties already. Its also the time to start worrying about other issues typical this time of year with your hive.Once removing your honey its mite treatment time, helping to ensure maintaining your bees in a healthy state for the upcoming winter. The hive is at its near peak of bees, and also, mites. Unfortunately these high temps prevent utilizing most mite treatments. B prepared though for when that cooler trend hits. In truth, we are at the end of the bee year. If a hive isn’t in good condition by October, it will not likely survive the winter. As such, the bee year starts in August/September. Its our last opportunity to ensure the health of our bees. We’re entering robbing and yellow jacket season also. Reducing your entrances is important, use screen if you don’t have a screen bottom board to allow continued air flow. Reduce to 2″ opening. Its also the last chance to replace a bad queen. Verify your brood patterns and brood health.
Healthy brood pattern with good honey/pollen stores
The two instructional hives are 4 and 3 boxes of bees. The 4 story hive is in excellent health, with full honey and pollen stores. Solid brood patterns both capped and fresh.
The three story hive when taken apart seemed to be fine. However with closer inspection it was found to have several problems. Light on all stores, spotty brood patterns, 5-6 day old queen cells. The hive had an extra super besides there being a minimal nectar flow at this time so none of the normal swarm inducing factors are there. Further close inspection revealed hatching workers with some dead at the point of emerging from their cells. Continued inspection found some dead larvae that was stringy when pulled out of the capped cell with a hole in it. Although the hive smelled fine, the stringy brood is an indicator of foul brood. In short there are many things to be attended to with this hive, medication to be the first thing addressed since the disease appears to have just started. We’ll try and save it.
Initial looks can be deceiving, that’s why close inspection is always a requirement.
The survivor colony has filled its two supers. It is doing well.
We got started on a Bee Garden on the farm. Still under construction, but we got the stump from Tou Velle cleaned out and set into place. The introduced swarm has established itself inside.
We are anxiously awaiting the results of the viability of growing Sainfoin here in the valley. Dr. Islam Phd., from the University of Wyoming, is a leading expert on Sainfoin already in charge of 6 different research units. He’s been given the primary soil surveys of our area to analyze, and report his conclusions. Meantime, we’re preparing a plot here on the farm to grow it.
We leave the milkweed where possible for our Monarch’s.